Steve Sims EA llc


Announcements and Updates

Although your “Non Profit” organization is “very small” you probably need to file an annual return with the IRS.

For purposes of Form 990 reporting, the term section 501(c) (3) includes organizations exempt under sections 501(e) and (f) (cooperative service organizations), 501(j) (amateur sports organizations), 501(k) (child care organizations), and 501(n) (charitable risk pools). In addition, any organization described in one of these sections is also subject to section 4958 if it obtains a determination letter from the IRS stating that it is described in section 501(c)(3).

Form 990-N. If an organization normally has gross receipts of $50,000 or less, it must submit Form 990-N, Electronic Notice (e-Postcard) for Tax-Exempt Organizations Not Required To File Form 990 or 990-EZ, if it chooses not to file Form 990 or Form 990-EZ (with exceptions described below for certain section 509(a)(3) supporting organizations and for certain organizations described in Section B. Organizations Not Required To File Form 990 or 990-EZ, later). See Appendix B for a discussion of gross receipts.

Form 990-EZ. If an organization has gross receipts less than $200,000 and total assets at the end of the tax year less than $500,000, it can choose to file Form 990-EZ, Short Form Return of Organization Exempt From Income Tax, instead of Form 990. See the Instructions for Form 990-EZ for more information. See the special rules below regarding controlling organizations under section 512(b)(13) and sponsoring organizations of donor advised funds.

If an organization eligible to submit the Form 990-N or file the Form 990-EZ chooses to file the Form 990, it must file a complete return.

Click here for more information: