Steve Sims EA llc


Announcements and Updates

Puff puff pass... So you want to sell weed (cannabis)? How to be too legit to be forced to quit!

A cannabis retailer is a person who sells cannabis and/or cannabis products directly to a consumer.

A microbusiness licensed to act as a retailer must comply with all the same requirements as a retailer.

If you are a cannabis retailer, the CDTFA requires that you:

  • Register with the CDTFA for a seller's permit.
  • Charge and collect sales tax on your taxable retail sales of cannabis and/or cannabis products, and other products.
  • Electronically file your sales and use tax returns and pay the sales and/or use tax to the CDTFA.
  • Charge and collect the cannabis excise tax from your customers who purchase cannabis and/or cannabis products.
  • Pay the cannabis excise tax that is due to your distributor. DO NOT remit cannabis excise tax on your sales and use tax return.
  • Provide your customer with an invoice, receipt, or other document which includes the statement: "The cannabis excise taxes are included in the total amount of this invoice." (Your customers are liable for the cannabis excise tax until it has been paid to the state or you provide them with such an invoice or receipt.)

In addition, you must also:

  • Obtain a cannabis retail license issued by the Bureau of Cannabis Control within the Department of Consumer Affairs.
  • Contact your city and/or county government office for information on local licenses you may be required to obtain.

For more information click here:

Want to keep it straight (legit), contact me at: