California Franchise Tax Boards’ message on “How to Handle Your (small) Business”.
We have many resources available to small business owners and your small business owner clients. We know that our most informed taxpayers are generally our most compliant. In an effort to provide the most information as possible, FTB, along with other California state agencies, have created informative websites, publications, and we sponsor many education and outreach events.
- Our website – We have a Businesses section that provides useful links and information about various popular topics for small business owners. Online services such as Web Pay and filing information for the different types of business ownership can be found there as well. There is even a section of our website dedicated to Starting, Running, or Closing a Business.
- Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development (GO-Biz) – GO-Biz offers a comprehensive website called California Business Portal that features a business navigator, quick-start guides, and links to financial assistance. If you or your client is in need of permit assistance, CalGold is a website that can point you in the right direction for the permits and licenses you may need for your particular business and your particular location.
- Small Business Assistance Center – The Small Business Assistance Center is another great resource that is located at the California Tax Service Center. This website is sponsored by the state of California and contains useful information for all aspects of your business.
- FTB 1123, Common Forms of Ownership – This publication is a comprehensive resource of the filing requirements and general information about the different types of business ownership. As a business owner, one of your most important decisions is which type of business ownership will best fit your business needs. This publication gives you the information you need to make an informed decision.
- FTB 984, Common Business Expenses – In this publication, the most common business expenses are discussed.
- FTB 3556, General LLC Information – This is a publication that specifically deals with Limited Liability Companies (LLCs) and how they are considered hybrid business entities with characteristics from corporations and partnerships.
- FTB 1060, Guide for Corporations Starting Business in California – This is a guide to help you understand the filing requirements for corporations.
Education and Outreach Events
- FTB Event Calendar – On our website, an event calendar shows upcoming events that we are attending as part of our education and outreach efforts. Upcoming small business seminars are listed on this calendar.
- CDTFA Event Calendar – This is a comprehensive calendar that lists all upcoming events that are sponsored by the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration (CDTFA). They include small business seminars, new business orientation, basic sales and use tax classes, nonprofit seminars, and more.
Whether you or your small business clients are just starting out, or already have an established business, there are plenty of resources available that can help you along the way. Make sure to take advantage of these opportunities today!
Click here for more information: